Friday 13 September 2013

Who's Afraid of Friday 12a ?

Nope, me neither but it doesn't do any harm to be cautious!

Looking for the origins of why 'this day' is seen as unlucky on the web gives reports of all sorts of unlucky things happening throughout history on Friday the 13th.

There! I've typed it!!
I suppose I thought doing that was like mentioning the proper name of 'The Scottish Play'.

Considering there are only between 1 and 3 such days a year (the next one is December 13 2013) there are plenty of other days for bad things to happen too. But, in many parts of the world, Friday is thought of as an unlucky day and the number 13 is also often thought of as unlucky.

Combine the two and you get friggatriskaidekaphobia or paraskavedekatriaphobia (for those of a really sensitive disposition).

I prefer the Old English version where Friday comes from frigedæg or Freya’s day (a Norse goddess associated with love, sexuality, beauty, fertility, gold, sorcery, war, and death) and the Greek words tris (or treis) for 3, kai for 'and' and deka for 10.

In the UK at least, if there is a strange custom or belief that doesn't seem to have clear origins, you can bet it has something to do with the pagans and the subsequent Christianising of their beliefs and practices.

Amuse yourself by looking up the origin stories and let me know your favourite.....


Assuming I survive the day, I'll post again next frigedæg.

TGIF13

No comments:

Post a Comment